(This item should be read in conjunction with the piece on Henry Doulton.)
Charles Derry bought Woodlands House on the death of Henry Doulton. He lived there until approx 1903 when, in common with the other three spacious villas fronting Furzedown Road , his house was demolished and Clairview, Parklands and Woodnook roads were built on the site. He then moved to a house in Ullathorne Road.
Charles Derry, along with his brother-in-law Joseph Toms, founded the famous departmental store in Kensington High Street, Derry and Toms. The shop eventually closed in the 1970s.