History section 3

Dr Johnson, the celebrated 18th century poet, essayist and biographer, often came to stay with his friend Mrs Thrale at Streatham Park. Mrs Thrale’s husband was a wealthy brewer in Southwark. Their house, Streatham Place, faced Tooting Bec Common, but was demolished in 1863.

The  pub at the end of Thrale Road was initially named after Furzedown’s famous visitor, Samuel Johnson ; these days it is called The Furzedown.

Section 4