Dr Johnson, the celebrated 18th century poet, essayist and biographer, often came to stay with his friend Mrs Thrale at Streatham Park. Mrs Thrale's husband was a wealthy brewer in Southwark. Their house, Streatham Place, faced Tooting Bec Common, but was demolished in 1863.
The Samuel Johnson pub at the end of Thrale Road was named after Furzedown's famous visitor; these days it is called The Furzedown.
Today's Furzedown Ward is made up from parts of the Streatham Park and Furzedown estates.
In August 2008 the Furzedown Community Network was awarded a small grant from the Lottery Grants for Local Communities Awards for All Fund to launch an oral history/reminiscence project in the area. Visit the Furzedown Voices website to learn more.