Furzedown is a residential area in SW London close to Tooting Bec Common. Originally the lands of a farm called Furzeden, it became the estate for Furzedown House, built about 1730.
Hard to believe now, but back then the Streatham area was regarded as being countryside.
In the late 19th century, Furzedown House was owned by the Seely family, whose main residence was in the Isle of Wight. Later, it became a Teacher Training College and is now part of Graveney School. This lodge for Furzedown House, built in 1860, still remains.
In the more distant past, the inhabitants of the manor of Tooting Graveney had the right of cutting furze and digging gravel. Read more...